Monday, February 9, 2009

Years Pass on to Years

Jess and I started dating one year ago today.

We met at a rock show in Lowell where I was doing photography the summer before. As I did back when I was trying to start a photography business, I myspaced everyone I met.

In January, I happened to notice her cryptic status update. I went to her page and noticed she was single. And that was that.

Our first date was in Newton, on a snowy night. Snowy enough to make my car skid on the way there and on the way back.

*

Since then, we have been through more than a year's worth of struggle and change in our personal lives, offset by more than a year's worth of love and passion and joy. Suffice to say, I am an extremely lucky person. What's more: whatever difficulties we have faced have brought us closer, so that being in love feels as exciting to me today, right now, as it did in those heady early days of springtime romance. I still hate to see her leave in the morning, and feel as excited as a Golden Retriever when I hear her car pull in at night.

And all this, even when she deliberately tries to get the cat to put its butt on my face. Imagine that.

*

So, of course, today is a special occasion for us, another milestone, and one that we'll mark humbly but sincerely. Hey, Jess. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Doug! I'm glad the hard times have brought you two together rather than apart. That's sweet, and a good sign. And do whatever you can to keep that passion in one form or another... it's like air... not important until you don't have any.

    ReplyDelete