Saturday, February 21, 2009

Erections Never Lie

I installed the pandora widget. Pandora is a website that creates a radio station for you, based on your musical preferences. It is eerily accurate, as you might expect these days.

You begin by entering a musician or song. I started, tonight, with Woody Guthrie, and this lead to the Carter Family, John Hurt, the Carter Family, Furry Lewis, and Frank Stokes. Good music for Saturday night.

The site references the Music Genome Project.

I clicked on the link and it spelled out my predilections, some obvious: major keys, dynamic male voices, folk music, guitar.

*

I was hired for a one off photo gig today. It made me miss working the lens.

Still, I'm where I am. I read this week's New Yorker with pieces on Donald Barthelme and Ian McEwan. Time to work, was how I read them.

*

Following Charlie's advice, I looked for unglazed ceramic tile at Home Depot. I wanted an extra stone to cook pizza on. We had company tonight, and there was a need for a plain cheese pizza. Jess and I got mushrooms, good olives, and capers. My pizza skills are getting better. I'm learning from my mistakes.

*

This blog becomes more spare as I intensify my work on the book. Please keep reading. There will likely be mundane entries in the the near future. But this remains a critical enterprise for me. There is new territory ahead.

2 comments:

  1. If y'all are good, I'll larn ya to throw them doughs just like a pro. Probably won't make your pizza taste any better, but its faster and it makes you look pretty cool...

    I did Pandora for a long time, but now use it rarely. There's a point of diminihing returns where it rebels against your 'training' and starts repeating songs way too frequently. Another thing that driove me crazy is that it can learn complex tastes, but not simple ones. Only want women singers? No way.

    I think you should check out this though: I use it for a Pandora interface, because of its very useful skill:

    http://www.bitcartel.com/pandorajam/index.html

    worth every penny if you use iTunes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add, Last.fm is way better for me. Better spread of music and the genome of recommended music is larger and almost never repeats songs, though it thoroughly covers artist. More like a college station, where Pandora is more like a top 40 station in terms of rotation...

    ReplyDelete