Monday, February 23, 2009

Peking Spring

When people walk the Appalachian Trail, they get to the end and often experience the desire to turn around and start back in the other direction. When you're holding so hard to the path, and your mind is so focused on amassing the footfalls, it is hard to let that go. I'm told some can't, and start off on the return voyage, going a few days or weeks before getting the sense that they've achieved their objectives.

I thought of those people today when I ripped the final cd of my collection. I wanted to start looking around for more cds, for more to rip.

I had to restrain myself. I can't listen to all the music in the world, and, if I could, it wouldn't give me pleasure. The necessary sense of completion wasn't there. A hollow remained. Good thing, too. Work to be done.

*

The last disc to go was Mission of Burma's "Peking Spring." Don't know how I passed that one over earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment