Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dragonflies Appear

I hit the 40,000 word mark. It's a rough half-way point in the narrative. Good enough.

I did manage 1,000 before bed, and 3,000 today, making what seemed like an off period into one of heightened creativity. Plus, I worked through a major section of the novel, one I've been ready and preparing to write for over a month. A critical point. So there we go, mark the milestone and keep walking, pilgrim.

I turned to two records that generally inspire me: the first Arcade Fire and Devendra Banhart's Cripple Crow. Don't know what it is about the latter hippy surreal folkie rocking that I find so soothing. It sets me at peace. There's a minor song on that record, "Dragonflies," only a minute long, that always makes me smile. On my final day in the W, I listened to that same record on my ipod. Something about it makes me want to travel the world by boat. It's a summer song, no matter the season. I suspect an idiosyncrasy on my part. But I'm standing by it.

So I'm off to the fish market to pick up shrimp for the soup. This morning, the Dufflebag rejected my bacon omelette because of the "black flecks." Pepper! But there's pepper in everything, I told him!

He wasn't buying it.

I'll have to pick up white pepper when I get the chance now. Mentoring, like much else it seems, relies on necessary illusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment