Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Heart of the Celeriac

I finally made the baked celeriac and eggs dish from the Ferguson cookbook for lunch. I used one-quarter of the butter he suggests and it was still a little much. I'm not used to foods rich on that scale. I also replaced the celery leaves with baby spinach.

If I did it again, I would bake it for seven, not five minutes. Needless to stay, it was an unqualified success. Simple, peppery and delicious.

You skin and cut the celeriac into chunks and boil the pieces in well-salted water for twenty-five minutes until they can be mashed with a fork. Then you mash the pieces with four tablespoons of butter in a saute pan, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper, and mixing in the celery leaves -- spinach in my case.

You put the mashed celeriac into a preheated dish and press four holes into the surface. Ferguson makes eight and uses eight eggs. I was using a smaller root and went for four and four, breaking them and dropping them into the holes, where they fit nicely and looked striking when I took them out of the oven.

You bake the dish for seven minutes (Fergie says five) at 425 degrees. He suggests cooking the eggs so that they remain a little runny. They will, obviously, continue to cook after removing them from the oven, but I still found them a touch too runny, even though I'll admit it was unexpectedly delicious this way. I'm just not used to runny eggs.

I added additional ground pepper at this point. Serve immediately.

*

I spent the afternoon at an orientation at the Leominster career center. It wasn't daunting or galvanizing, and the whole situation has been overshadowed by non-unemployment related stress. Still, it was nice to learn about the services and to get my bearings.

*

Despite the busy day, I got up early enough to write almost 2,000 words. I think, with a week of full time writing, I could finish this draft. I would hardly say I'm writing full time, but it's a huge relief to have this much time and to see the results.

*

The cat is attacking my toes, and then sitting on my chest, and then attacking my toes again. I have to turn the mattress, do the dishes, and get ready to help the Dufflebag with his homework. The week is almost over.

*

Sorry for the boring entry. Try the recipe -- the food is good even if the writing is bad.

3 comments:

  1. "turn the mattress" eh? You couldn't save the euphemisms for Valentine's day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! If you only knew . . . .

    Actually, it's kind of funny. Since I'm about twice Jess's size, the mattress starts to feel like it's on a hill. She rolls into me, we all pile into the low end, I grab onto the sheets to stay in place, and we all wake up wondering why our backs and necks are so sore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word sir: Bob-O-Pedic!!! Seriously, add that to your couple's wish list. It's awesome and the basic model is $300 or so for a queen if I recall correctly. Free delivery too. The Bob's store is in Framingham on rt 9. One of the best purchases ever. Takes a little getting used to but its been very good for my neck and back.

    ReplyDelete