Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tom Yum Blacktop Bacon Pepperpickles

So I did manage to get in a few rounds last night. Nothing strenuous. I'm a little sore, but my knees are fine. I'm hoping this is a sign that they healed up completely.

*

I'm going to make another, larger batch of the pepper pickles, since people at the party seemed to enjoy them and I certainly did as well. I'll post the recipe, above.

I'm also going to pick up ingredients for a tom yum goong soup that I'll make with the pork stock.

*

Big on the agenda today, aside from the normal filing and searching and writing, is to watch Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop, a film I've heard about for years but never got a chance to see, until now, thanks to Netflix.

*

While at Blood Farm in West Groton, I picked up two packages of their bacon, said by some to be among the best bacon sold in the United States, and you can only buy it there.

I'm going to serve myself two rashers for breakfast, and finish up the pork while I'm at it, and probably take on a serving of the fruit salad (oranges, coconut, walnuts) that Tracey left behind after the party on Saturday. Breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day.

*

Other than that, I'm going to fiddle around with books and thoughts until I'm ready to work on the novel. I'm not quite there yet. It doesn't take much, but you need a little ember to begin with, and I don't have that yet. So I'm going to boil water for coffee and see what the day holds.

2 comments:

  1. Tom Yum Goong is a.k.a. The Protector. It is a seriously trippy Thai action movie. If you have not seen it, watch it in some form of altered state. You will then ask yourself "did that just happen? REALLY?" And the answer is... yes. yes it did.

    I sometimes get inspired to write a monologue or a song by something I hear or read... but after I end up feeling too much like I'm emulating the source of said inspiration. I'm not sure if I really even am, it's just that the source is so stuck in my head that I get paranoid that I'm biting his style. I try to tell myself "so what? it's all been done before anyway, and no one else really concerns themselves with originality these days anyway, and those who do end up sounding asinine and pretentious" but it doesn't work so I either finish something that I'm forever suspect of or stop altogether. My influences when I was younger set my personal standards for music and writing way too high, which sucks b/c I have an appreciation for a lot of mediocre and shitty stuff that other people create.

    Is Blood Farm where you got that syrup too? That stuff was awesome. I must admit, I had the entire contents of the bottle in one sitting... just soaked my waffles in it and savored each sopping bite. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen that film, but know about it. I'll have to look for it.

    And yeah, we all find that a certain set of standards only serves to suffocate you.

    I got the syrup at the sugarhouse in Brookline. Blood Farm is all meat. It's also where I bought the pork butt for Saturday.

    ReplyDelete