Friday, February 27, 2009

The Crumb and the Crust

Unlike Wednesday's bread, the yeast seemed to be doing me a favor and rose artfully.

About two weeks ago I took a basic bread recipe and started baking it nearly every weekday. I have slowly started to experiment with it. I'm pleased that I haven't turned out a bad loaf yet. For today, I added toasted fresh cumin, molasses, sesame seeds, warm buttermilk, and butter. I'm using mostly wheat flour, although the first half cup into the mix was unbleached white. As an additional experiment, I left the dough in the Kitchen-Aid about five minutes longer than normal. That machine runs like a horse and is practically self-cleaning. We understand each other.

When the house smells good and the baking hasn't begun yet, I take that as a good sign.

3 comments:

  1. you are doing the autolyse step, right? if not, you should be. That will add even more consistency and help gluten development. You're doing the right thing though. Nail and refine one recipe before you move on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been, since 1. I thought that was usually done only when kneading by hand and 2. I've been pleased enough with the results. But I'll try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nah, its about making sure the dough is hydrated before developing gluten through kneading. Letting it sit for 20-25 minutes before a solid 10-12 minute knead (after mixing together) will give the dough a chance to saturate so that it stretches and makes lots of gluten/muscle.

    ReplyDelete