Monday, March 2, 2009

Sourdough

Day five without working on the novel. Very frustrating.

School was cancelled, so the Dufflebag is home. I have to go out and shovel and work on the house electrical problem before teaching tonight.

*

After spending a great deal of time reading about sourdoughs, I started a starter last week and, as luck would have it, it is now bubbling and stinking up and doing all that it is supposed to. I spent some good hours reading about the history of sourdoughs: San Francisco, the miners, the European variations.

My first attempt, after I let it grow for a week, will be to make an olive bread. I love olive breads, and olives in general, so it seems a fitting way to begin.

I nearly finished off the last of the wheat bread this morning. It is heavier, but not too stale, which is surprising given how quickly homemade breads will go bad. I toasted it and ate with with some raspberry jam. If that won't get me through the snow shoveling, I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment