Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Reservation Rewards II

Well, aparently, a few things have changed since the blog I linked to below was posted. As soon as I called Reservation Rewards, I got an automated answering service. Cancelling my membership was first on the list.

I had to take note: Once I tried to cancel, the first, number one option, was an oddly phrased choice: Yes, I would not like to cancel my membership at this time. I can't remember the specifics, but, even as a former English teacher, I had to think about the option a few times to realize it merely allowed me to . . . do nothing. Option two was the one to cancel, and I did.

I was informed that I hadn't been charged and would not be charged. I was given a confirmation number.

The only problem? Why is the pending charge still listed on my bank statement?

So I'm calling Bank of America to make sure they cancel the charge and all future charges from the swines at Reservation Rewards.

I was given an estimated wait time of three minutes to speak with an operator. I've been on the phone for twenty minutes now. At least it gives me time to update the blog.

When I had the problem with Vista Print, once I actually got to a human being, they were friendly and helpful. Those weight times, though . . . .

*

Okay. Talked to the Bank of America rep, and the charge hasn't been "hard posted" yet, meaning that it is still pending. I need to keep checking, because I can only file a claim once it posts. I asked if there was a direct number to the claims department and there isn't.

So that's that. I'll have to keep checking my bank account this week to monitor to see if the fraudulent charges post.

*

For the record, I finally remember the website where I inadvertently fell into their trap: it was Fandango -- the site I used to buy the Coraline tickets.

I read this excellent article and discovered other websites that willingly work with these con-artists: priceline.com, hotels.com, and classmates.com.

The article notes that, as of the post date, at least one company did the right thing and ended their relationship with the reservation rewards program: 1-800-FLOWERS.com.

Reservation Rewards is a run by a company called Webloyalty. They might just as well be called Orwell's Nightmare, with a name like that.

The most sinister part of the article concerns the company's CEO, Richard Fernandes, who told author Peter Dizikes, that he refused to change his business practices on the grounds that, ""Our approach is generally to make transactions simple for consumers."

In a just society, Mr. Fernandes would be doing time in prison for theft and fraud. But not for punitive reasons: I simply want to make sure he gets his food and shelter as simply as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Doug,

    I just read your post and want to give you an official response on behalf of our company. It's important to us that your concerns have been addressed and that your issue has been resolved to your complete satisfaction. However, at this time, we're unable to confirm which membership record belongs to you. If you have any other questions or feedback you would like to discuss, please contact me directly so I may be of assistance. You may do so by emailing me at consumeraffairs@webloyalty.com.

    Thanks,
    Mary
    Dir. Consumer Affairs

    ReplyDelete